The allegations include reports of physical, verbal, sexual and psychological abuse of migrant children and the denial of clean drinking water and adequate food.
Among the allegations, U.S. officials are said to have:
– Denied a pregnant minor medical attention when she reported pain, which preceded a stillbirth.
– Subjected a 16-year-old girl to a search in which they “forcefully spread her legs and touched her private parts so hard that she screamed.”
– Left a 4-lb. premature baby and her minor mother in an overcrowded and dirty cell filled with sick people, against medical advice.
– Threw out a child’s birth certificate and threatened him with sexual abuse by an adult male detainee.
– Ran over a 17-year-old with a patrol vehicle and then punched him repeatedly.
“These agencies have taken no meaningful action to hold federal officials accountable for abusing children or to ensure that such abuse never occurs again,” she said.
The ACLU report, co-written by the University of Chicago Law School’s International Human Rights Clinic, says the U.S. government “has failed to provide adequate safeguards and humane detention conditions for children in CBP custody.”
“These failures,” it says, “have allowed a culture of impunity to flourish within CBP, subjecting immigrant children to conditions that are too often neglectful at best and sadistic at worst.”
Well, what do you expect in a society where individuals tasked with law enforcement are valued and protected more than the actual citizenry they charged with protecting? When the only people you value are given guns and exempt from consequences for their crimes people get treated like they are lower than dogshit.