Government Lawyer Says Puerto Rico’s Hurricane Response Plan ‘Does Not Exist’

October 30, 2018

…Early last month, Governor Ricardo Rosselló and other officials announced that their newly overhauled plan was finally complete.

…Days after Rosselló’s announcement, the head of the Puerto Rico Emergency Management Agency, Carlos Acevedo, told a committee of Puerto Rico’s Congress that, should a hurricane of similar magnitude strike, “we’re confident that our government’s response will be very different.”

…But on Tuesday afternoon, an attorney for Puerto Rico’s government admitted in a San Juan courtroom that, in fact, the island’s emergency management agency does not yet have a document outlining a hurricane-specific response plan.

…She said the government was still assessing proposals from private companies, “so that it can hire people who specialize in producing those types of emergency response plans. So, as of today they aren’t available. As of today, they don’t exist.”

…Calls to Puerto Rico’s governor’s office and to the Puerto Rico Emergency Management Agency were not immediately returned.

Government Lawyer Says Puerto Rico’s Hurricane Response Plan ‘Does Not Exist’ : NPR

whoa!

Leave a comment