Advocate hopeful Indigenous newborn taken by authorities to be returned to family this week

A total of 354 infants were removed from their families in Manitoba in 2017, 87 per cent of them First Nations; and 259 remained in care 12 months later, putting them on the fast-track for permanent wardship.

The members of the baby’s family, including the mother, said in a news conference Friday that officials with Manitoba’s CFS told them she was removed from St. Boniface Hospital because her mother appeared intoxicated when she arrived at the hospital. The mother vehemently denied this, saying doctors and nurses allowed her to breastfeed, which they would have stopped had they believed she had been drinking.

Advocate hopeful Indigenous newborn taken by authorities to be returned to family this week – The Globe and Mail

Screwing over indigenous peoples, it’s not just an American thing!

Leave a comment