The Ranch for Kids, a nonprofit organization founded in 2004, describes itself as a respite care program for at-risk adopted children and their families, particularly children suffering from fetal alcohol syndrome and reactive attachment disorder, which is a condition found in children who have been mistreated by previous primary caregivers.
….The Health Department said tips and reports of “egregious abuse” had been rising “in both frequency and severity in recent months,” including allegations that:
- Children were hit, kicked, body slammed and spit on by staff members.
- Staff members inflicted “persistent psychological abuse” on children, including prolonged isolation.
- Children were forced to go on 15- to 20-mile “disciplinary walks” on remote Forest Service roads in harsh conditions.
- Food was withheld from children.
- A nail gun was shot at a child.